On October 14 we welcomed 7 people into our membership here at FCC. Brian Koelsch, Annie Koelsch, Chad Eastridge, Victoria Hunemuller, BJ Humphrey, Haley Schneiderman, Patti Reyhons.
What does one have to do to become a member, you might ask? It’s pretty simple really. We offer a membership class 1-2 times each year . The class is usually 3-4 weeks and covers the history of First Congregational Church, your role as a member, information our church programming, and more. Following the series of classes each prospective member is interviewed by the board of deacons as representatives of the congregation. Following approval by the pastors and the elder/deacon board they are received into membership of the church upon publicly assenting to the statement of faith and entering into the church covenant.
To qualify to become a member you admit that you have accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior, give assurance of your desire to live a consistent Christian life, show a willingness to abide by the church constitution and bylaws, and agree to the Statement of Faith and Church Covenant which are as follows:
STATEMENT OF FAITH
- We believe the Bible, consisting of the Old and New Testaments, to be the only inspired, inerrant, infallible, authoritative Word of God written.
- We believe that there is One God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in his ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for salvation of lost and sinful man regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling power and fullness the Christian is enabled to live a godly life in this present evil world.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life, and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of all believers in Christ.
THE CHURCH COVENANT
Having truly repented of our sins and heartily forsaken them we devote ourselves to the love, obedience and service of Jesus Christ. We take His Word as the law of our lives and the Holy Spirit as our Comforter and Guide; and trusting in His grace to confirm and strengthen us; we promise to follow Him in all things; to walk with His disciples in love and to live for His glory.
As a member you are able to serve on many of our boards and committees, teach Sunday School, and vote at our annual and semi-annual business meetings. Members must be at least 16 years old to vote.
Membership Matters! Christianity Today has a great article on why membership matters. Give it a read here: https://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2015/july/membership-matters-3-reasons-for-church-membership.html
If becoming a member of FCC is something you are curious about, contact Pastor Mark or Pastor Brian. They would love to answer any questions you have and guide you through the process.